Thursday 22 March 2012

Risotto .. again

Oh deary me. Feeling quite stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking these days. And it's tricky keeping up with the food fads in our house. E's is pretty consistent: no meat. Though sometimes when the pizza looks tempting she'll have pepperoni. M is pretty consistent: 'I don't like it' but then eating most of it. K is pretty consistent too actually: ' I hate it' and then not eating anything. But then, take risotto, eaten on a weekly basis in our house due to it being K's favourite and the only thing he says 'I love it' to. M used to not complain about it but eat very little. E used to complain and not eat very much either. But today E declared it to be a big hit and had seconds and Milo complained about it but ate it (well, a very small portion anyway). No wonder I find it hard cooking the right amounts, even if I don't have to make any wild choices about what we're having. I have about 5 meals we have in endless rotation. It's doing my head in. But then tonight as I was cooking risotto for the nth time I suddenly noticed how fantastic the colours were. It just looked great. Tasted OK too, even if I do say so myself.


Oh crikey. What am I wittering on about?? Feeling very much like the lent adventure is not quite as spiritually enlightening as the advent one. Don't think that R is even reading the bloomin' blog, let alone blogging! It feels a bit more lonely than at Christmas. And in the solitude there's less chat and wondering about what we're doing, what it means, what it inspires. Less conversation with others about the pictures, the art, the neighbourhood. I think I've always been a bit rubbish at doing the journey on my own. I need others to bounce off. Maybe my lenten discipline should have been to take a picture and find meaning in the image or in the taking of it. Not just navel gazing about day to day domestic chores... I guess there's always next year.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm enjoying it! Good point about solitude though. Extroverts and solitude: problematic! And Lent: long and a solitary journey. But thankfully some bright spots on the way. You could do endless blog ideas with all those interesting reflections!!

    ReplyDelete