Monday 26 March 2012

Olympification part 2



I went to Westfield today to take something back for my eldest (yeah, yeah, any excuse!). The shopping city leaves me feeling slightly sweaty and nervous, even downright shocked to be honest. I am not sure whether it's the enormity, the newness of it all - including touch screen i-pad like information points, the numbers of people in it all the time or what, but I just feel a bit more shocked by it than other Cathedrals to Mammon which grace our shores. But the chance to get an eyeful of those fabulous Olympic buildings is enough to make me want to make regular trips. This is a glimpse of the basket ball building. If you can call it that. We call it the marshmallow, in the rather recent trend to name buildings in our great Capital after bits of food. I love it! Don't know why. But the big white squadgy sweet, especially lit up by the royal blue of a spring sky gets my vote. Not the absolute best in the Park, but just another great aspect of the exciting urban landscape that will be the Olympics.




I couldn't even get out of the car to photograph it, such is the security, but someone obviously has - and taken it from the landscaped side to boot. It's off an Australia website with the tag 'The ugliest building in the world'. No accounting for taste eh??

1 comment: