Tuesday 13 March 2012

Olympification

I've been doing my own bit of leaving sand around on pavements these last couple of weeks. I mentioned it in an earlier post. It's in order for slightly hyper children to follow excitedly to our mystery destination for tea and a lent story. I've had some funny looks and interesting conversations. But I've also been a bit nervous about the other, non mystery-trail type sand all over the place. In case of any confusion it brings for those following the stuff I've laid. This is what the street the Church is on looks like at the moment. Suddenly we have a whole lot of new pavements. Lots of swanky stone, new trees, the lot. I suddenly realised that it's probably got more than a little bit to do with those two/four weeks in the summer when just around the corner from here half the world will gather to see, or watch from afar, or simply complain about, a few people running fast and hurling things.



Friends, with a toddler and a baby on its way in tow, are looking for rented accommodation in Hackney. They baby's due in May and they want to come back to Hackney after a stay in Berlin. But they have been googling around, as you do, to find that many landlords are asking for thousands of pounds in rent  for the months of July and August, due to their property's proximity to the Olympic park. I heard from another tonight that some are even pushing people out of their rented properties simply because they want to earn as much as they possibly can in that short window. Which is definitely worse than hauling up all the pavements. But you see my concern about these being just indicators of the whole thing getting rather out of hand....


No comments:

Post a Comment