Tuesday 20 March 2012

Hard work versus God's grace


I am the one you can thank for the fantastic sun and blue skies. Despite my fears of suddenly being plunged back into winter, the spring weather seems to be holding out. It's all because I have not yet got my 'summer' clothes out of the loft. You wait, about next weekend, or maybe at the start of the Easter holidays I'll get the ladder out and rummage through the bags, throwing heaps of clothes and shoes down for the various members of my household, which will herald, for us, the official beginning of Spring. Then it will snow. Don't say I didn't warn you. But in the meantime it's pretty wonderful being out in the garden, even though it still looks like a building site. And I love, love, the thrill of seeing the bulbs burst forth. I get such a sense of pride: how fantastic this bit looks with these tulips in the freshly dug soil; how exciting to think these shoots of rhubarb are the beginnings of something you can actually eat! But how much work did I really do?? Almost nothing. The force of nature, God's grace, the Light. Call it what you will, I am always blown away by it. And yes, yes, there are two 'snaps. You gotta problem with that sunshine?? (oops, sorry, it's late. I'm grumpy and need bed!)

1 comment: