Tuesday 5 March 2013

18. Educating Beautiful

Aha! I got another one in at school :-)

Feel a bit guilty about it because I lead a student astray. I spend half an hour each week doing one to one reading help with a lovely Turkish boy. I am amazed how he, who spends all his life speaking and reading in another language and another alphebetic script, can even speak English, let alone read it. But of course it's a bit of a struggle for him and hopefully an extra half hour a week with someone who thinks he's brilliant and can make some fun out of those annoyingly difficult English words will give him the boost he needs to keep up with his classmates.

We meet in the staff room. And when we came across the word 'beautiful' today in our book I couldn't resist the urge to show him my stickers. 'You are beautifull' I told him. 'Shall we leave that message here for your teachers to find?' He didn't question my sanity nor the legality of such an act. We just found an appropriate place together to stick the sticker and then we got back to Duck in the Truck. Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment