Wednesday 8 March 2017

Day 6 and 7 - Lion


Where is it?

The clue is in the blog post title....



This should do it for you locals....



Yep - the women's toilet at Castle Cinema, on Chatsworth Road. Our lovely little new local independent cinema.

And the film Lion provides enough inspiration for a whole Lent-ful Lent. What are these bonds we have to those who bear us? That stretch continents and decades and will not let us go no matter what treasure is bestowed on us? A wonderful shared community weep thanks to the presence of most of the fantastics Burnses. Four teenagers sat in a row (at a discreet distance from their parents) and blubbed their way through it whilst their parents did the same a few rows in front.

What with this, a recent viewing of Philomena and the wonderful Mark Steele's Who Do I Think I am? which I caught on Radio 4 last week, I've been thinking a lot about adoption, hunger to know our roots, the tenacity to find ourselves. The film tonight had a startling statistic in the credits: that 80 000 children go missing every year in India. It was hard to watch the abuses meted out to the street kids Lion's protagonist falls in with. I was reminded of the opening scenes in Slumdog Millionaire (also starring the rather lovely Dev Patel) showing the character's early life. I very nearly walked out because I found it so distressing.

I've been reflecting on what I 'doing' about various injustices in the world and slowly concluding that I am not doing 'enough'. So, all these musings on films and culture is at least all feeding into what I hope will be some practical outcome. Watch this space.



Oh, and in a rather sad 'catch up' on Lent moment I had to duck out again to put up my 7th heart... and I got as far as my own garden railings. Sad. (!)







No comments:

Post a Comment