Thursday 2 March 2017

Day 2 - Maya Angelou


Disappointing to settle for such a terrible photo so early on in Lent!

The wind was spinning it around like billy-o which was quite nice, but impossible to photograph especially as K was kicking his heels, holding my bike, and generally looking like he didn't want to be seen with me.

Tra la. 

Never mind. Been feeling inspired all day after watching the Maya Angelou episode of the BBC series 'Imagine' last night. Wow! What a woman. What a life. What a legacy. What a voice. What an incredible voice. No wonder I had loved the new This Girl Can advert - it's fabulous in itself as a piece, but set to Angelou's 'Phenomenal Woman' poem, and featuring her reading it, it's really rather wonderful. 

Towards the end of the programme Angelou is seen taking various rappers to task about their use of derogatory language. She seemed so stately. So right. So obviously right. So tonight whilst scrolling through my FB feed I found it hard to see the video of my niece's friend's election campaign video for Bath Student Union. Yes, of course, it's ironic. Yes, of course, it's student banter and high jinks. Engage students, keep it fun. But I just don't want sane intelligent women running for any kind of office helped out with bitch and ho' lyrics. #TheDreamIzGreen. I'll be voting for Maya Angelou. #StillIRise #IKnowWhyTheCagedBirdSings.









No comments:

Post a Comment