Monday 13 March 2017

Day 11 - Ralph Vaughn Williams

I don't think I've ever been inspired by anyone called Ralph before.  

But give the guy his due.. writing a film score before they had film scores. A massive, undulating (to use a sneaky sea metaphor!), crashing, delicate piece... and ode to the Sea and all who sail on her (though admittedly they all seemed to be men. Don't tell Ellen McArthur. 

It was an amazing experience singing at the Royal Festival Hall. If felt like true once in a lifetime stuff. But being there and singing Vaughn Williams Sea Symphony was pretty special. 



Needless to say this heart was supposed to be left at the Royal Festival Hall. I can't believe I carried it around all day with me. I spent all afternoon backstage. I could maybe even found a way of leaving it *on the stage* but no... I just forgot. Two weeks into Lent and I am no where near a daily habit of deep thought.

Anyway, suffice to say the inspiration remains: 150 pages of voice score; 4 movements; over 70 minutes of singing; 50 stringed orchestra (including two, yes two) harps. Zoweeeee. I mean I guess it's pretty awe inspiring to those who 'know' music and can appreciate the finer details and the brilliance of it all. But to a non-sight-reading, non-musically-trained numpty like me it's out of the box impressive. To create all those different melodies, to make it sound (actually) like the sea in all its fulness, to write for all those parts, to shape those extraordinary harmonies. Just wow.

As I recovered the next day I wandered down to the little park area outside our local hospital. Site of yarnbombing, various children's parties and Hanami celebrations. It's not the RFH but it'll do.


No comments:

Post a Comment