Monday 20 March 2017

Day 17 - Red Nose Riders


I've been so inspired by my youngest son's friend. For his 10th birthday party he decided he wanted all his cyclist friends to ride as far as possible and get sponsored to do it for Red Nose Day. 

Around 15 of his friends (including my baby!) got together yesterday and rode for a total of 553 miles around the Olympic Park cycle track. (Some accompanying adults did a further 77). They raised over £1600. Some kids cycled for over three hours. Some of the smallest only did three or four laps. Some of the older ones (still only about 12) did more like 50. It was a really windy day and the mile-long track's got two big hills on it. I was really struggling just cycling home at the end of it. 

I loved the idea. I loved the red nose numbers on their shirts and the clipboard tally. I loved their determination. I loved the fact that some rode around in pairs and others pressed on on their own. I loved the fact that there were loads of adults there yelling them on, generally being supportive and feeling super impressed. I loved the fact that we could do it all in the shadow of the Velodrome in the incredible Park which is on our doorstep.

I also loved the fact that when I picked up this heart to place today I realised I had inadvertently made one with a red nose on it!

I'm sure there will be many Red Nose Day accomplishments which are just as impressive and perhaps more so. But it was nice to be part of one of them and I have a 10-year-old to thank for that. Way to go Milton! 






No comments:

Post a Comment