Sunday 8 March 2015

Eleven to fifteen


Round up for the week!


No. eleven is on The Regents Canal - part of my rather lovely cycle to work. I'm hoping it will stay there for a while so I can enjoy it when I struggle past against the wind.





Twelve is a bit limiting in 'reach' stuck as it is on the clothes rack at work! Colleagues at Friends House deserve a cheery heart though. I'm hoping it might stay put slightly longer than the 2 'You are Beautiful' stickers which I stuck up in the building one Lent. All that's left of those is a bit of a sticky residue in the lift and the second floor ladies bathroom. Ooops.




Thirteen finds itself in the wilds of Oxfordshire in a tree outside my sister's palatial vicarage. Well, palatial by Hackney standards. Quite pokey by Pangbourne standards! Her and her family of heroes looked after our three whilst N and I swaggered off to our friends 50th birthday party on Reading University campus. 50th?? Yes, that's the number one social gathering we get invited to these days. (With the odd 40th thrown in for good measure). It feels as scary as hell. But they seem to have more free wine at 50ths than 40ths or 30ths. Champagne, even, in this case. Shame I offered to drive! 




Fourteen graces the RUSU - the Reading University Student's Union. Ha! I bet that doesn't stay up for long. I can almost imagine a Mr Filch like character combing the building after hours every night confiscating anything which isn't official. It was weird to be back. I don't think I've been back inside the Union building since I graduated in (ahem!) 1991. I'm sure I haven't danced to some of the tunes we were boogeying too since then either. Great selection of golden oldies. And a great jazz band from Martin's son's school playing too. Got a bit teary about it as I do every single time I hear young people performing. Can't help wondering whether Mr Middle will find a love of music and/or performing when he goes to secondary school next September. Would have liked to have brought the kids back in the car to the campus on Saturday morning for a little wander and wonder at it all. It's changed so much - I couldn't even really orientate myself. Oh well, weekend too full with other things (not to mention a fab time and the very lovely Olympic Aquatic Centre for E's late birthday bonanza - such a beautiful building, and so fab that it's accessible to all. We had a ball on their floating assault course!).




And fifteen is on the railings of our church, Clapton Park URC, back in Hackney. I seem to remember that last year I mostly put the hearts up at night, returning to Hackney most evenings, and somehow wanting the hearts to be mostly around my own neighbourhood. Maybe it's how I started this year, but I feel much more excited about the idea of them finding homes far and wide this year. One or two around here, for sure, but maybe it'll be fun to spread the lurrrve a bit wider. Probably a good job considering that during the last week of Lent I will find myself in the East Harlem district of NYC. Yippee! Getting quite excited now (and into the swing of the idea this afternoon with the Great Chrysler Building Build-Off - below!). Though TBH my mini Lent yarnbombing will immediately pale into insignificance in comparison to Naomi's!!.  


   





No comments:

Post a Comment