Wednesday 16 April 2014

37.


I was graciously served by two fabulous women from my community today. Talk about being dug out of a hole?! 

At 9.40 am I had a car full of kids ready to wing over to Walthamstow for a gym camp. K had finally agreed to give it a go. E and A were on day 2 of 3. Poor Mr M was just along for the ride. The car wouldn't start. For the first time in 7 years  our hulk of VW let me down. 

I frantically called people I thought may be able to help out. I knew the public transport option would just take too long to figure out (it's a 3 bus journey - or a complicated mix of transportation). So having a kind offer of the Minister's car (but not the insurance to drive it) the lovely Annabelle stepped in and not only had to ask her friend if she minded me staying at home with her son on his play date, but also had to take H in the car with her since she looked very unhappy about the prospect of being left with me! 

All this she did with grace and understanding - as though it happens all the time. Even though she does much more schlepping on public transport than I do - and with toddlers on tow too - and should have laughed me out of town. 

And later on, with the battery truly dead and un-revivable the equally lovely Mrs T abandoned her lunchtime preparations for a daughter newly retuned from New York to take me over there to pick the kids up. 

It is good to live with such people on these streets of Hackney. Just wish there a bloody gym class nearby!!

So, having left one of these hearts on the gold door of A earlier this Lent (I should ask whether she ever found it) I left this one on R's door. Not with any reference intended for not quite persevering with the heart project, but simply to say thank you. (Especially as I finally got the sewing machine out to embellish them and that was, after all, her inspiration!). 


No comments:

Post a Comment